SALVE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SALVE

Post  quex on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:45 am

I swear I am looking forward for serious Alchemical discussions!
Don't let my title of Full of Crap Alchemist or the fact that all I need to know about Alchemy I learned from Edward Elric make you think otherwise!
Smile
Nice meeting you all. I will behave, or at least give it a try!

Last edited by on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
quex
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SALVE

Post  deviadah on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:55 am

Sounds good. And I look forward to discussing with you as well.

All you got to do is think of a topic that has been bugging you and then we can see if something can be done about it!

Cool

I have myself never watched Full Metal Alchemist, although I am a great fan of anime and seen quite a lot. Classic series I like, with some minor alchemical undertones, is 3x3 Eyes.
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 875

View user profile http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quex on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 am

deviadah wrote:Sounds good. And I look forward to discussing with you as well.

All you got to do is think of a topic that has been bugging you and then we can see if something can be done about it!

Cool

I have myself never watched Full Metal Alchemist, although I am a great fan of anime and seen quite a lot. Classic series I like, with some minor alchemical undertones, is 3x3 Eyes.
Actually, I like that Anime. It does have some elements of Alchemical symbolism, but let's be honest, it doesn't have much to do with Alchemy...
Hmm, they talk about some sort of law of equivalent trade, which to me sounded more like the runic a gift demands a gift... Don't expect any solve et coagula or anything of that sort. It's good to watch, but I wouldn't look for any deep Alchemical wisdom. Can be interpreted more in the lines of Campbell's hero's journey if anything, which is not bad, IMO...
quex
Visita
Visita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:57 am

Well I was more thinking of the fact that they have a Third Eye!

Third Eye

To me that is the ultimate goal of the alchemical process; to awaken the pineal gland. In the East there is talk of the kundalini... but I always like to get scientific about it!

With the power of your imagination everything is possible and to achieve total control of that gland, and that trait, is indeed a Holy Grail!
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 875

View user profile http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyHydralisk on Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Third Eye

Hmm....well my pineal gland is awake - it's quite active lately. I even seem to have gained a few inches. I guess alchemy works.

Welcome quex.
LadyHydralisk
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 143

View user profile http://kitsunehole.proboards51.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  quex on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:06 am

Thanks Lady and nice meeting you. Wink
But, why don't I get a little colorful girl? Sad
quex
Visita
Visita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

On FMA...

Post  Gunderic Mollusk on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:09 pm

I wouldn't scoff at the ramifications of FMA. In truth, I got into alchemy from a gnostic-themed mecha RPG entitled Xenogears, which had as much to do with Hebrew mysticism, Nihilism, and Norse Mythology as to the Great Work.

One of the keys on the principles of Equivalent Exchange in FMA is that although the transmutations seem specialized in turning one thing into another, this can be similar to taking inert prima materia and changing its state to something a bit more complex. Ed Elric hits it on the nose with his manipulations of scrap metal to repair and preserve his own metallic limbs and especially to heal Alphonse in moments of crises. You might be onto something, friend.
Gunderic Mollusk
Terrae
Terrae

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2007-10-15

View user profile http://gnosismollusk.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Iggy Walker on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:25 pm

Never seen this FMA?

What is the jist of it?

Confused
Iggy Walker
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunderic Mollusk on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist (FMA) is an animated series from Japan. The story takes place in an alternate timeline, where talismanic magic has become more widely researched than science. The "Alchemy" in the series implies something of a focused exchange, and the primary rule is that something cannot be given withou something being given up. The protagonists of the series, a pair of brothers with an absentee Alchemist father, are faced with the death of their mother, and attempt to resurrect her using Alchemy. One brother loses his arm and leg in the disastrous experiment, and the other becomes a disembodied soul, which inhabits a hulking suit of armor. The two decide to throw in with government registration, and learn of numerous forms of political intrigue, in their quest to find the Philosopher's Stone, to both possibly restore their mother, but primarily to return the younger brother to a living body.

Some very, very few episodes end up being silly, to diffuse the tension, but the series presents many interesting concepts such as the validity of existence, the morality of unequivocably seeking knowledge, and numerous others. It even has a very large section of the story that touches on persecuted people, both in the series' timeline and in Nazi Germany. It has a clean, colorful aesthetic reminiscent of early 20th century Europe, and the characters are vibrant, multifaceted figures.

Hopefully, you'll give the series a shot.
Gunderic Mollusk
Terrae
Terrae

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2007-10-15

View user profile http://gnosismollusk.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aunt Clair on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:33 am

G'Day from Perth !
Aunt Clair
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-10-21

View user profile http://forums.riverofenlightenment.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Iggy Walker on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:18 pm

Gunderic Mollusk wrote:Hopefully, you'll give the series a shot.
Well looks like I will have to give FMA a shot as you say then, but you will have to answer to it if I don't like it!

LOL
Iggy Walker
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down