Alchemy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thus Begins My Research

+5
phliosehea
Salazius
deviadah
BeautifulEvil
WCH
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thus Begins My Research - Page 2 Empty Re: Thus Begins My Research

Post  phliosehea Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:27 am

WCH wrote:"I possess a secret remedy which I call laudanum and which is superior to all other heroic remedies."
You shouldn't read words at face value within alchemy, lead is not lead, gold is not gold etc.... For instance laudanum, is derived from Latin: labdanum, which is resin from the plant genus Cistus that yields an fragrant oil. But applying the phonetic cabala- we find in the Greek λαδᾶς ladas (oil merchant), λαδερός laderos (oily, cooked with oil) and from these by phonetic association we get λαγαρός lagaros (limpid, clear, pure) and by Semitic origin- ladunu an aromatic.

John French(the art of Distillation): Distill it with a soft fire, and there will come forth an oil of a golden color, of a good taste and smell which is the true balsam of sulphur
phliosehea
phliosehea
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 am

It's very likely that Arabian alchemists experimented with Hashish operations, but I don't want to speculate too broadly.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think the use of this particular matter was more widespread than we were lead to believe. I'm sure some of you have noticed this: http://www.alchemylab.com/cannabis_stone1.htm before.

The paper has a lot of interesting things, and I've explored this notion for a little while - it might hold SOME merit. Although, not everything in the article is entirely true. It's very difficult, and require countless hours of research (often many years, and even then possibly longer), to even gain a peak into the world of ye' old alchemist.
BeautifulEvil
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2007-10-10

http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WCH Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:54 am

phliosehea wrote:
WCH wrote:"I possess a secret remedy which I call laudanum and which is superior to all other heroic remedies."
You shouldn't read words at face value within alchemy, lead is not lead, gold is not gold etc.... For instance laudanum, is derived from Latin: labdanum, which is resin from the plant genus Cistus that yields an fragrant oil. But applying the phonetic cabala- we find in the Greek λαδᾶς ladas (oil merchant), λαδερός laderos (oily, cooked with oil) and from these by phonetic association we get λαγαρός lagaros (limpid, clear, pure) and by Semitic origin- ladunu an aromatic.

John French(the art of Distillation): Distill it with a soft fire, and there will come forth an oil of a golden color, of a good taste and smell which is the true balsam of sulphur
So, you think that Terrance McKenna is mistaken when he assumes that Paracelsus was an advocate of opium use? I think that's what you're saying, just wanted to clarify. I don't know for sure, I've really only just started my research.
WCH
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:58 am

I forgot to mention, but I've come across the use of opium in my research also. I've even heard they might've used a distillation product from the dry distillation of a copper/silver acetate to make morphine.
BeautifulEvil
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2007-10-10

http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phliosehea Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:26 am

Yes completely mistaken...I wouldn't trust a mechanic to stitch a wound. Same notion applies to McKenna, Jung, Blavatsky etc...But these are just my thoughts
phliosehea
phliosehea
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Thus Begins My Research - Page 2 Empty Liquid Opium

Post  deviadah Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:40 am

BeautifulEvil wrote:I forgot to mention, but I've come across the use of opium in my research also. I've even heard they might've used a distillation product from the dry distillation of a copper/silver acetate to make morphine.
Well Paracelsus invented liquid opium... so I am sure it is a valid substance in alchemy!

Liquid opium is also called Laudanum
In the 16th century, Paracelsus experimented with the medical value of opium. He decided that its medical (analgesic) value was of such magnitude that he called it laudanum, from the Latin laudare, to praise, or from labdanum, the term for a plant extract. He did not know of its addictive properties. - source
Third Eye
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-10-08

http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jepetto Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:12 am

BeautifulEvil wrote:I'm sure some of you have noticed this: http://www.alchemylab.com/cannabis_stone1.htm before..

Interesting, I just sent this link to a friend a few days ago while discussing the use of cannabis with personal development. I have not had a chance to read all of this yet, though what I have read was interesting.

I don't know too much about the historical uses of psychoactive substances in relation to alchemy or mysticism, but from my own experiences with these plants and chemicals, I had learned the Seven Hermetic Principals outlined in the Kybalion, long before I even knew what alchemy was. It was just that I hadn't the words to express the ideas and experiences as well as was done in that book.

I have found that with the use of cannabis, when not having smoked any for several days and then smoking again, the first part of the buzz is very introspective.

Similar with the use of LSD. I have had many experiences where the entire experience was analytical of my behaviors and thoughts. Those were some of my favorite trips, though at times were very hard for me to deal with. I would come out of the experience extremely depressed, and even to this day I am still working things out. (this brings to mind some of the posts in the spiritual calcination thread) Not knowing what I was doing at the time, I feel I didn't benefit as well as I could have from the experiences.

In regards to psilocybin, the first four or five times I had eaten mushrooms I had not gotten any effect at all, even from batches that friends had gotten off good on. Then, for no reason I can find, I crossed some hidden threshold and was able to experience the worlds of psilocybin. My experiences were mostly hallucinatory rather than philosophical, which was fun, but I wanted something more, something deeper. I wish I had kept a journal of my visual experiences as maybe there was a deeper level to them which I was not aware of.
Jepetto
Jepetto
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-13

http://www.solitarysociety.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Salazius Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 am

LSD ... look at Dr Stanislav Grof's book, very psycho spiritual.
Salazius
Salazius
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  urgyen Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:01 pm

DMT might be the real philosopher's stone. It certianly appears that way.

urgyen
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  WCH Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm

An alchemist I know refers to DMT as "philosopher's crack." Now, considering that crack comes in "rocks," and "rock" is another word for "stone," you may well be right.
WCH
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Back to top Go down

Post  solomon levi Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:56 am

Greetings!

I don't have any first-hand experience in alchemical preparations of drugs, but from what I understand
from the literature, an ens of a plant will remove any toxic and narcotic properties.

For example, Starkey's diaphoretic pill, aka Matthew's pill, had the poppy in it, but he said it's narcotic
properties were removed by volatile alkali, which creates entia of plants. It also had deadly plants, the hellebore,
and it's poisonous properties were removed and only the medicine is left.
This should be taken into account when considering Paracelsus' use of poppy.

I plan on doing an ens of A. muscaria soon. I'll let you know the results.

Yes, making tinctures won't qualify you as an alchemists, but after some ens and a plant stone, if you
are initiated by these, you may claim a little status. Wink One author(ity) says that after accomplishing the
circulatum minus you may then call yourself an alchemist. ???

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  WCH Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Careful with A muscaria -- make sure you expose it to sustained heat at some point in the process to convert the ibutonic acid into muscimol.

Why would you want to remove the psychoactive components? To my understanding, those are the medicine... so it's nonsensical to say that they're gone but the medicine remains. With the poppy, for instance, the medicinal property is as an analgesic/anaesthetic. It's used to dull pain, because it contains certain chemicals which happen to dull pain. Removing those chemicals, and then still using it to dull pain, is just strange.
WCH
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Back to top Go down

Post  solomon levi Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 pm

It's not a wanting to. The ens just does that because of its perfect balance.
I'm just saying you might want to stick to tinctures or something that concentrates the property you want.
I don't think you want to make the ens. But try it, by all means. I just don't think it will concentrate the psychoactive property.
I'll find out with the Amanita. (They were well-dried in the oven.)

I don't think opium is a narcotic because of its analgesic properties. Do you? Suspect

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  WCH Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:58 am

Why else would it be narcotic aside from its analgesic properties? It functions as an analgesic by attaching at what we call opiod receptors (mainly we call them that because it's where it attaches. Circular much?), and it's the eventual building of tolerance to this action which leads to its addictiveness.

Paracelsus said that everything is toxic, it just depends on how much you take. I agree with him. The goal should be to purify the desired substance and then to administer the *exact right amount* for most benefit and least risk. Washing/burning away impurities and extracting undesired chemicals (such as toxins) is an important part of that, but only insofar as you preserve the part which has a medicinal value. Otherwise you might as well just drink water.

Maybe you're right then that I shouldn't be doing ens. Yet I feel that they're an operation basic enough that I should have done it at some point. Maybe as one stage of a longer operation? For instance, a possible formula...

Plant matter, ground in pestle, is made into an ens. The salt, having been strained off, is then added to aqua vitae and refluxed for two hours, after which it is strained again and the mercury is boiled off in a retort and gathered. We'd then have the ens, which would contain some of the chemicals in the plant (probably the polar ones in particular? Anyone more confident than I on the chemistry of an ens?), the remaining salt and all the sulphur that wasn't extracted in the process of making the ens.

Now what would you do then? Calcinate the salt and add half to each? Calcinate half the salt only and infuse into all of it (burnt and unburnt) the sulphur taken by the alcohol? Maybe mix all three in a numerologically significant ratio?
WCH
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2