Copper - deception?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Copper - deception?

Post  WCH on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:04 pm

In Dungeons & Dragons, there's a race of Outsiders called the Rilmani who are full of alchemical symbolism. Each species has skin of a different planetary metal, and its characteristics are appropriate to the symbolism.

Aurumachs are the leaders and diplomats; Ferrumachs are the warriors; Plumachs are the workers and crafters, etc. Here's what I don't get, though... Cuprilachs are described as assassins who disguise themselves as loved ones of their targets, and can continue that masquerade for years without the mark growing wise to it before striking.

I don't get it. I realise it's just a game, and that just maybe the symbolism is flawed/incomplete/whatever. But... the other ones make sense to me. Iron are strong and resolute warriors, Gold are shining symbols of perfection, Lead are timeless and apathetic. But why are Copper the assassins?

Any ideas?
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Copper - deception?

Post  solomon levi on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Cupid's arrow?

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:32 pm

I remember reading somewhere, that the true "Gold" of the philosopher's was not in fact elemental Gold, but was actually Copper. I am not sure of this though, and haven't looked into it much - it just came to mind as I read your post.

Cuprilachs are described as assassins who disguise themselves as loved ones of their targets, and can continue that masquerade for years without the mark growing wise to it before striking.
Ah, what an interesting word. Let's analyze it for a second, my phonetic cabala isn't the best, but it's decent enough to see hidden meanings in words. Look at the first 5 letters of the word, we have "Cupri" - which could also be Cupric, a form of copper. Also regarding Cupid's arrow, look at the first three letters, we have "Cup" - possibly also a hidden allusion to copper. Last but not least, we have the word "Cup," which may also be an allusion to chalice, perhaps grail (you see where I'm going with this)? The elemental symbol for copper is "Cu."

These are honestly connections I pulled out of the ether, they basically came to my mind as I typed this, but I do think it's interesting and may hold some ground.

I also think the connection between Cuprilachs and assassins is an interesting one.

Garden of the world near the new city, In the path of the hollow mountains:
It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2007-10-10

View user profile http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WCH on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Ah, what an interesting word. Let's analyze it for a second, my phonetic cabala isn't the best, but it's decent enough to see hidden meanings in words. Look at the first 5 letters of the word, we have "Cupri" - which could also be Cupric, a form of copper. Also regarding Cupid's arrow, look at the first three letters, we have "Cup" - possibly also a hidden allusion to copper. Last but not least, we have the word "Cup," which may also be an allusion to chalice, perhaps grail (you see where I'm going with this)? The elemental symbol for copper is "Cu."
No, I don't really see where you're going with this. The elemental symbol for copper is "Cu" because of the Latin word for copper, which is also the connection to Cup and to Cupri. It seems entirely uninteresting that two different abbreviations of a word are, in fact, contained within that word.

Reminds me of the other night when, rather tired and under the influence of a flower known to Hasan-i Sabbah, I was playing around with numerology and was genuinely surprised to discover that the square of any number is also equal to its square.
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Meh, you don't have to agree with me, but I personally found it interesting. Such is the way of the art.

It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:24 am

Copper is the only other element with a yellow/orange luster like gold.

Is this "young gold?" I kind of thought that title was given to elemental mercury, but I'm having trouble recalling it now.

BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top