Supplies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Supplies

Post  arcitectus on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:37 pm

I live in the mid-west. What are some good herbal and lab equipment suppliers, either physical stores or mail-order.

Thanks

arcitectus
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Supplies

Post  WCH on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 am

What kind of herbs are you looking for? It's usually pretty simple to find any of the stuff that gets used in cooking. Psychoactives (kavakava, kratom, wild dagga, etc) are a little tougher but can be ordered online. Unfortunately I can't recommend any specific stores, but the entheogen.com forum has a section for trading with links to some stores. All depends what herbs you need, though.

I'm lucky enough to live in a big city where there are a number of herbalists, and at least one Science store that, in the words of a fellow alchemist, "takes cash and doesn't ask questions." That, of course, becomes more of an issue if you want the fun stuff... I plan to put this "no questions asked" thing to the test next week by ordering oil of vitriol.

I imagine that in the midwest it's hard to find a place like that... maybe they exist, but I wouldn't know of any.
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  arcitectus on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm not looking for psychoactives, but thanks. I'm looking for a quality herbal supplier so that I can do some spagyric experiments, not what I think you would get in a local store for cooking. Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of using McCormick or Mrs. Dash spices for spagyric work. Smile

As an after thought, I guess it would be better to just learn to grow my own so they are fresh and can be harvested at an appropriate time if needed. I can get supplies, seeds, etc, at a local garden supply.

With that said, I still need to find a science / glassware supplier. If anyone knows of a quality online supplier that is not over priced I would appreciate it.

Thanks

arcitectus
Visita
Visita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:08 pm

As an after thought, I guess it would be better to just learn to grow my own so they are fresh and can be harvested at an appropriate time if needed. I can get supplies, seeds, etc, at a local garden supply.
Ultimately this is the best decision you can make, but I happen to know of a decent herbal supplier. I've ordered from them before, and their products are super high quality. I've always been satisfied with their service. The site is called: www.mountainroseherbs.com

With that said, I still need to find a science / glassware supplier. If anyone knows of a quality online supplier that is not over priced I would appreciate it.
Let's see, I've ordered from this company before: http://www.agile-fx.com/servlet/StoreFront. Their prices/products are decent, but I think most of their products are lower quality (Chinese, Mexican equipment). There's another company I want to order from: http://kantu200scientificstore.ecrater.com/. I'm sure their glassware is high quality, and the prices aren't too bad either. I've got my eye on a 500/250ml classical retort (very nifty and tough to find).

Hope I could help!

Garden of the world near the new city, In the path of the hollow mountains:
It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2007-10-10

View user profile http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Post  solomon levi on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:23 pm

IMO, it is even better to find them wild where they are occuring naturally in their habitat.
These are like "old-growth" trees compared to what you can grow.
It is well worth it to become acquainted with the wild plants of your area.
Many wonderful alchemical herbs grow in the wild throughout the states.
Maybe a little research at your local library would be worth while.

Speaking of psycho-actives, I recently became aware that wild lettuce is similar to opium (which I
haven't tried) - "weaker yet just as dreamy" was the description. This is a very prolific weed in my area
and I found some in a couple days. Tried it last night - it definitely works.

Anyway, my point is I'm very happy that I've spent the time to learn about wild plants.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:26 pm

It is well worth it to become acquainted with the wild plants of your area. Many wonderful alchemical herbs grow in the wild throughout the states.
This is very good advice, and I think I will personally take note of it.

Speaking of psycho-actives, I recently became aware that wild lettuce is similar to opium (which I haven't tried) - "weaker yet just as dreamy" was the description. This is a very prolific weed in my area and I found some in a couple days. Tried it last night - it definitely works.
Oh so true, I've been meaning to make a decent tincture of it. Actually, I think I have some growing right outside my window by the house.

It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

arcitectus

Post  Field on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:29 am

Arcitectus,

There are a few suppliers that I like to use.

www.rootofthematter.ca
very good for roots like maca, rhodiola, and also minerals like shilajit and mummio

www.kalyx.com
very good for finding everything, including all whole foods and herbs

http://www.crucible.org/
good place for glassware and crucibles

http://www.unitednuclear.com/
good place for glassware as wells as chemicals and metals

hope this helps!
-Field

Field
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  solomon levi on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Oh - if you want chemicals be sure and check any clay or ceramics supply shops.
They're much cheaper there.
For example, at mine I can get potassium carbonate, antimony oxide, copper carbonate, tin oxide... many more.
Potassium carbonate comes in handy as it is the main salt of all plant ashes, esp grapevine and oak.

Anyway, the clay supply shop should have a catalog of all their chemicals.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  arcitectus on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Wanted to say thanks for all the replies and help.

@ solomon levi - Thanks for the tip on checking with local ceramics supply shops. There is a local pottery/clay guild were I live.

Another site that I found but was a little daunting at first was Fisher Scientific - http://www.fishersci.com/.
I know they have a lot of professional high end equipment, but they have a lot of other good stuff too that is used for school and college labs as well. They have a very comprehensive online college equipment catalog: http://fisheredu.dirxion.com/college/

If you want to order a printed catalog, you will have to sign-up(free) for there literature fulfillment service and order a catalog. The product ID for the college equipment catalog is BN1107073.

arcitectus
Visita
Visita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:01 am

I would stay away from large supply houses like Fisher or Sigma/Aldrich. Most of them won't even acknowledge you since you're only a civilian, and not part of a company. These are not our friends of science, these are our enemies! Go with the small supply chains, like the ones I mentioned. They have real decent glassware!

BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  arcitectus on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:56 am

@BeautifulEvil

Thanks for info and the heads up.

arcitectus