Alchemy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

interesting note

2 posters

Go down

interesting note Empty interesting note

Post  solomon levi Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 am

Here's an interesting note I found amongst some of my notes:

"The spirit of salt joined to the spirit of wine and distilled together becomes sweet and
loses its acidity. If poured on prepared calx of gold it extracts its color and redness.
The old body (of gold) may receive back its former color from Venus/copper, from whose
blood it derived its origin in the first place."

Sorry I don't have the name of the source. If I find it, I'll let you know.
Maybe "The Golden Tripod".

I mention this cause it doesn't seem to difficult an operation.
Anyone dealing with m-state can produce Calx of Gold easily,
so we just have to distill together the spiritus vini and salis.
Maybe I'll try it soon. Let me know if you beat me to it.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

interesting note Empty Re: interesting note

Post  BeautifulEvil Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:22 am

"The spirit of salt joined to the spirit of wine and distilled together becomes sweet and
loses its acidity. If poured on prepared calx of gold it extracts its color and redness.
The old body (of gold) may receive back its former color from Venus/copper, from whose
blood it derived its origin in the first place."
I've heard of this somewhere before, but I can't quite remember. Maybe it was John French's book? Let me look around for a source.

You can do the same with any other acid to produce a sweet "quintessence" of the alcohol & acid. The products will differ depending on the type of acid used, and the type of alcohol. A few that come to mind (some of these may not be right, and it's quite possible some will never react to form the product(s) without a catalyst):

1. Acetic Acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Acetate
2. Sulfuric Acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Sulfate/Sulfite/Sulfide
3. Hydrochloric Acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Chloride (Chloroethane)
4. Phosphoric Acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Phosphate/Phosphite
5. Nitric Acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Nitrate/Nitrite
6. Carbonic Acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Carbonate

This will happen to oxidized wine if you leave it to digest long enough. The acetic acid formed via oxidation will react with the ethanol to produce a sweet smelling product if heated (chloroethane/ethyl chloride). All the others will follow the same principle, but yield different products. These are great solvents, but they're tough to work with. The evaporation temperature is very low, and they're quite flammable. Some are also moderately toxic.

This will also work with methanol (wood alcohol), and any other alcohol (propanol, butanol, glycerol, etc). We all know what the nitrated product of glycerol is right (nitroglycerin)?
BeautifulEvil
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2007-10-10

http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down