a method for the first matter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

a method for the first matter

Post  solomon levi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I'm posting this for Pierre, (or anyone else who knows the first matter).
I found this - maybe it will help.
It's called the true potable gold, and it also tinges mercury to gold,
which process I will provide next time if you like.
This is from Glauber.

Take of living gold one part, and three parts of quick mercury
(not the vulgar, but the philosophical, everywhere to be found
without expense); of living silver, one part may be added with advantage;
then put the mixture into a philosophical vessel to dissolve.
In the space of 1/4 of an hour these mixed metals will be radically dissolved
by the mercury, and will give a purple color. Afterwards increase the heat gradually,
and then the color changes to a very fine green. Hereon, when taken out, pour the
"water of dew" to dissolve (which may be done in 1/2 an hour).
Filter the solution, and abstract the water through a glass alembic in balneo,
which pour out again fresh, and abstract; repeat this three times.
In the meanwhile, that greenness will be turned to blackness, like ink,
stinking like a carcass, and therefore odious. It behoves sometimes
to take away the water, re-affused and digested when the said black color
and stench will depart in the space of forty hours, and will give place
to a pure and milky whiteness, which appearing, remove the water by
evaporation to dryness. Diverse colors now appear, and the remaining white
mass is to be affused with highly rectified spirit of wine, whence the dissolved
green gold will impart to it a quintessence as red as blood or ruby.

Dose: two or three to ten or twelve drops, or more.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  pierre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Hi, solomon Levi.
I have great respect for Glauber, but I think that this text is only a chemical formula, not alchemy. Where is involved here, the spirit that is the agent of change all bodies?
All alchemists also know that the gold and silver metals are alchemically fixed or male and never, ever, be mixed with each other, therefore produce the same as two female or volatile metals together: a useless monstrosity. We need a male and female metal to produce the stone and without the contribution of the spirit alchemy would be chemistry.

But perhaps Glauber is not talking about alchemy, here ...; I do not know ...



solomon levi wrote:I'm posting this for Pierre, (or anyone else who knows the first matter).
I found this - maybe it will help.
It's called the true potable gold, and it also tinges mercury to gold,
which process I will provide next time if you like.
This is from Glauber.

Take of living gold one part, and three parts of quick mercury
(not the vulgar, but the philosophical, everywhere to be found
without expense); of living silver, one part may be added with advantage;
then put the mixture into a philosophical vessel to dissolve.
In the space of 1/4 of an hour these mixed metals will be radically dissolved
by the mercury, and will give a purple color. Afterwards increase the heat gradually,
and then the color changes to a very fine green. Hereon, when taken out, pour the
"water of dew" to dissolve (which may be done in 1/2 an hour).
Filter the solution, and abstract the water through a glass alembic in balneo,
which pour out again fresh, and abstract; repeat this three times.
In the meanwhile, that greenness will be turned to blackness, like ink,
stinking like a carcass, and therefore odious. It behoves sometimes
to take away the water, re-affused and digested when the said black color
and stench will depart in the space of forty hours, and will give place
to a pure and milky whiteness, which appearing, remove the water by
evaporation to dryness. Diverse colors now appear, and the remaining white
mass is to be affused with highly rectified spirit of wine, whence the dissolved
green gold will impart to it a quintessence as red as blood or ruby.

Dose: two or three to ten or twelve drops, or more.

pierre
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  Illen A. Cluf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Pierre and Solomon,

I just wanted to add some thoughts to this interesting discussion.

pierre wrote:Where is involved here, the spirit that is the agent of change all bodies?

On the contrary, perhaps Glauber is indeed referring to philosophical substances that contain the spirit.

solomon levi wrote:This is from Glauber.

Take of living gold one part, and three parts of quick mercury
(not the vulgar, but the philosophical, everywhere to be found
without expense); of living silver, one part may be added with advantage;
then put the mixture into a philosophical vessel to dissolve.

Here Glauber is specifically saying that the mercury is not the common or vulgar mercury, but the "philosophical" mercury, which likely means a matter which is the philosopher's mercury, or something containing the spiritual substance. He also talks of "living" gold and silver, which have been animated with spirit or the "living" substance. Thus, I don't think that Glauber is talking her about common chemistry.

Further:

solomon levi wrote: In the space of 1/4 of an hour these mixed metals will be radically dissolved
by the mercury, and will give a purple color.

This is a very interesting sign that Fulcanelli mentions, that is easily missed. On page 154 of his Le Mystere, Fulcanelli makes the following curious observation that I have missed in previous readings:

"At any rate while gall gives the name of the raw mercurial matter, kirmis (Arab, ) girmiz that which dyes scarlet characterizes the prepared substance"......"Remember, then, that the Philosophers' mercury, that is to say their prepared matter, must possess the virtue of dyeing and that it acquires this virtue only after the preliminary preparations."

Just some considerations.

Illen
avatar
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  solomon levi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 pm

I don't see anything chemical about this one.
Yeah, it seems most of the time Glauber is not talking about alchemy.
But I thought this one was. As Illen said, the catalyst is the living mercury
that dissolves gold. All these materials are philosophical or living.
He even says to put it in a "philosophical vessel", whatever that means.
I thought you would know since you know the first matter.
He does say the silver could be added "with advantage",
so it's not necessary if you want to do just gold.


Illen,
Yes, purple = ios. It seems there was some mention of that too.
Ios also meant poison, I think.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  solomon levi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 pm

More:

Aurum potabile, when brought to a due perfection, has the appearance of a
bright, clear water, it is of a burning, hot, and fiery taste. and it gives out a
sulphurous, but yet pleasant odor.
Potabile gold being coagulated by means of fire, and reduced to a stability
therein, is converted into a stone of a blood-red color, and yields not in
melting any corporeal gold unless a metallic body be adjoined to it, into
which the spiritual and philosophical gold betakes itself, that, so clothing
itself with a body, it may become corporeal.

Testing of Potabile gold:
Take of my potabile gold, or lac virginis, one ounce, and put it in a glazed dish;
which done, and the dish being placed in sand, evaporate all the humidity until
there remain about half an ounce of white salt. Put this salt in a crucible with one
scruple (or half a drachm) of the plates of silver, or copper, or iron (tin and lead
need not be laminated). Place the crucible, together with the salt and metals, over
a gas burner, and the salt will presently melt, like wax; it will penetrate the whole
metal, and will transmute it into gold. This operation is effected in 1/4 of an hour,
or half an hour at the most. The molten salt, being poured forth out of the crucible,
the plate of metal remains that was first put in, but now thoroughly transmuted into
pure, good gold.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  solomon levi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 pm

another manner of testing:
Take of my potable gold one ounce, and one scruple (or half drachm) of
common quicksilver. Put them in a strong glass, and so small that it may be
half-full with the mixture. The said glass must have a round bottom, whether
it be a piece of some small bolthead, or a small phial, that so the mercury may
gather itself into one ball in the bottom. Now place the glass with the potabile
gold and mercury in sand, to the height of the liquor, then heat it and leave it for
about one hour in a sufficient temperature, so that the moisture being exhaled,
the potabile gold may stay behind in the form of a white salt. This done, pour again
upon that salt so much pure water as is evaporated in the boiling, that so lying
awhile upon the said salt, it may dissolve it, which is hereby again turned into the
same potabile gold, having the same color and taste, and the same virtues it had
before. The mercury, being freed from the said potabile gold, which is to be poured
off, is found to be hard, and fixed in the bottom like the best gold. It is also of the
same size or quantity as when first put into the glass. If, by some error committed,
the quicksilver be not tinged enough, not yet brought to a due degree, but shall have
contracted some blackness, it is to be taken out of the glass, and put into a small
crucible, where it must be heated to redness, so that it may receive its due golden
color; which color it will get, and it will resemble the best ducat gold , and will abide
good and firm in all trials. The aurum potabile used for the coagulation of the mercury
may be employed again and again, but less mercury must be used each time.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  pierre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:41 pm

Illen A. Cluf wrote:Hi Pierre and Solomon,

I just wanted to add some thoughts to this interesting discussion.

pierre wrote:Where is involved here, the spirit that is the agent of change all bodies?

On the contrary, perhaps Glauber is indeed referring to philosophical substances that contain the spirit.

solomon levi wrote:This is from Glauber.

Take of living gold one part, and three parts of quick mercury
(not the vulgar, but the philosophical, everywhere to be found
without expense); of living silver, one part may be added with advantage;
then put the mixture into a philosophical vessel to dissolve.

Here Glauber is specifically saying that the mercury is not the common or vulgar mercury, but the "philosophical" mercury, which likely means a matter which is the philosopher's mercury, or something containing the spiritual substance. He also talks of "living" gold and silver, which have been animated with spirit or the "living" substance. Thus, I don't think that Glauber is talking her about common chemistry.

Further:

solomon levi wrote: In the space of 1/4 of an hour these mixed metals will be radically dissolved
by the mercury, and will give a purple color.

This is a very interesting sign that Fulcanelli mentions, that is easily missed. On page 154 of his Le Mystere, Fulcanelli makes the following curious observation that I have missed in previous readings:

"At any rate while gall gives the name of the raw mercurial matter, kirmis (Arab, ) girmiz that which dyes scarlet characterizes the prepared substance"......"Remember, then, that the Philosophers' mercury, that is to say their prepared matter, must possess the virtue of dyeing and that it acquires this virtue only after the preliminary preparations."

Just some considerations.

Illen


Hi IIIen.
Ok, I give you the reason that maybe both, the gold and silver are philosophical.

But I have not yet clearly understood what means to Glauber living silver and living gold. Are native metals? Are fluid metals? Are philosophic sulfur and mercury?

I reiterate that I am very suspicious when someone mixing gold and silver in the same glass. Alchemically are incompatible ...; but maybe I'm wrong.

pierre
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  solomon levi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 pm

pierre wrote:But I have not yet clearly understood what means to Glauber living silver and living gold. Are native metals? Are fluid metals? Are philosophic sulfur and mercury?

I reiterate that I am very suspicious when someone mixing gold and silver in the same glass. Alchemically are incompatible ...; but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought native - not melted.
I think you want to put native gold in the philosophical mercury for dissolution.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  Illen A. Cluf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 pm

pierre wrote:Hi IIIen.
Ok, I give you the reason that maybe both, the gold and silver are philosophical.

But I have not yet clearly understood what means to Glauber living silver and living gold. Are native metals? Are fluid metals? Are philosophic sulfur and mercury?

I reiterate that I am very suspicious when someone mixing gold and silver in the same glass. Alchemically are incompatible ...; but maybe I'm wrong.

Hi Pierre and Solomon,

You are right - we need the context from which the excerpt derives. Solomon, I assume this comes from Glauber's "Works". Can you tell me the specific treatise, chapter and page that the excerpt comes from, so that we can study the context?

Thanks,
Illen
avatar
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  Illen A. Cluf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi Solomon,

Illen A. Cluf wrote:Can you tell me the specific treatise, chapter and page that the excerpt comes from, so that we can study the context?

I found it. It's in Part 1 of his Works, page 97 (section called Of Aurum Potabile). I'll read the context.

Illen
avatar
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  Illen A. Cluf on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:37 pm

Hello again Pierre and Solomon,

I don't know how much help this is, but this is what Glauber has to say about the difference between living and dead gold:

Glauber
Works
The Fourth Part of Part 2 – Page 131

Of Gold, and the Comparison betwixt it when living, and when dead.

It is so well known as that nothing can be more known, that Gold being so compact and corporeal and without any opening, doth not when used inwardly to man’s Body emit any Vertues at all. I will instance in one Example of Mercury; This being living and unbroken and undissolved, doth not, though used inward in a great weight, bring any hurt, but passeth out again as ‘twas before taken in without any alteration of the Body. But if it be sublimed with Salt, or shall be dissolved by some other corrossive Water, and be administered to a man to drink the quantity of 1, 2, or 3 Grains it will shrewdly hazard his Life, because the Salts have made its hidden lurking Poyson mainfest. Thus stands the case with Gold, which cannot shew forth its hidden force and vertues as long as it remains bound and tied with the tetters of its own compaction, but (on the other hand) displays them, as soon as ever it shall be released from its bonds, be vivified by Salts, and rendured efficacious. You see in a black Coal, whiles it is not fired, there is not any heat at all percieved, but being kindled, and being by the Air rendred living, it discovers the fire and heat being therein hidden, the which you may likewise consider of concering Gold.

Illen
avatar
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  pierre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:58 pm

solomon levi wrote:
pierre wrote:But I have not yet clearly understood what means to Glauber living silver and living gold. Are native metals? Are fluid metals? Are philosophic sulfur and mercury?

I reiterate that I am very suspicious when someone mixing gold and silver in the same glass. Alchemically are incompatible ...; but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought native - not melted.
I think you want to put native gold in the philosophical mercury for dissolution.


That`s correct; but what is the function of silver? What gives its substance to quintessence?

pierre
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  pierre on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:15 pm

Illen A. Cluf wrote:Hello again Pierre and Solomon,

I don't know how much help this is, but this is what Glauber has to say about the difference between living and dead gold:

Glauber
Works
The Fourth Part of Part 2 – Page 131

Of Gold, and the Comparison betwixt it when living, and when dead.

It is so well known as that nothing can be more known, that Gold being so compact and corporeal and without any opening, doth not when used inwardly to man’s Body emit any Vertues at all. I will instance in one Example of Mercury; This being living and unbroken and undissolved, doth not, though used inward in a great weight, bring any hurt, but passeth out again as ‘twas before taken in without any alteration of the Body. But if it be sublimed with Salt, or shall be dissolved by some other corrossive Water, and be administered to a man to drink the quantity of 1, 2, or 3 Grains it will shrewdly hazard his Life, because the Salts have made its hidden lurking Poyson mainfest. Thus stands the case with Gold, which cannot shew forth its hidden force and vertues as long as it remains bound and tied with the tetters of its own compaction, but (on the other hand) displays them, as soon as ever it shall be released from its bonds, be vivified by Salts, and rendured efficacious. You see in a black Coal, whiles it is not fired, there is not any heat at all percieved, but being kindled, and being by the Air rendred living, it discovers the fire and heat being therein hidden, the which you may likewise consider of concering Gold.

Illen



And Archibald Cockren said:
I can understand now, I think, how it is that some of the patients to whom Salts of Gold
injections have been administered have succumbed to gold poisoning. So long as the
salts are in an acid solution, they remain soluble, but directly the dissolving medium
loses its acidity and becomes neutral or alkaline, the salts tend to form again into
metallic gold. This is probably what happens in the case of the injection of gold salts
into the alkaline intercellular fluids, which in some cases leads to fatal results.

pierre
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  solomon levi on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am

pierre wrote:
solomon levi wrote:
pierre wrote:But I have not yet clearly understood what means to Glauber living silver and living gold. Are native metals? Are fluid metals? Are philosophic sulfur and mercury?

I reiterate that I am very suspicious when someone mixing gold and silver in the same glass. Alchemically are incompatible ...; but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought native - not melted.
I think you want to put native gold in the philosophical mercury for dissolution.


That`s correct; but what is the function of silver? What gives its substance to quintessence?

I'm not sure. I have theories - sun and moon, sulphur and mercury, red and white.
Why not both together?
I've read reports of m-state gold and silver really enhancing eachother when taken together.
???

Doesn't gold have the purest sulphur and silver the purest mercury?
Isn't that why?
That's my guess.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: a method for the first matter

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum