Historical Relation Between Vampires & Alchemy

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Historical Relation Between Vampires & Alchemy

Post  BeautifulEvil on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:25 pm

This is something I've been considering for the past few months, but I believe some of the legends of immortal blood drinking vampires are actually allusions to alchemy & the Philosopher's Stone.

It's said that vampires need blood to live, and as we all know blood is red. When the Philosopher's Stone is added to water it dissolves and turns the water into a deep red liquid. This water/stone solution has the ability to extend life to any individual that consumes it, just like the legend of drinking blood to gain life. Maybe there is a connection between the two, but I cannot be sure.

This is all just merely speculation on my part, and maybe I'm being too haste in drawing a parallel between the two, but I believe there may be some truth in this matter.

BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts: 754
Registration date: 2007-10-10

View user profile http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Historical Relation Between Vampires & Alchemy

Post  deviadah on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Yes, a very interesting connection that I don't think can be proved or disproved.

The famed Comte de Saint Germain is an alchemist than in recent times have figured as a vampire in a series of books (which I must say I have not read).

I can also add this into the mix:
Blood is the first incarnation of the universal fluid; it is the materialized ‘vital light’. Its birth is the most marvellous of all nature’s marvels; it lives only by perpetually transforming itself, for it is the universal Proteus. The blood issues from principles where there was none of it before, and it becomes flesh, bones, hair, nails… tears, and perspiration. It can be allied neither to corruption nor death; when life is gone, it begins decomposing; if you know how to reänimate it, to infuse into it life by a new magnetization of its globules, life will return again. The universal substance, with its double motion, is the great arcanum of being; blood is the great arcanum of life. - Éliphas Lévi
Now Lévi is not a alchemist directly, but as I consider the art of magic(k) to be a spawn of the art of alchemy I feel the above quote is relevant enough!

Cool

deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts: 875
Registration date: 2007-10-08

View user profile http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:41 pm

The famed Comte de Saint Germain is an alchemist than in recent times have figured as a vampire in a series of books (which I must say I have not read).

This sounds interesting, and I might have to check it out. Do you know the name of the series?

Good quote, and nicely said. Lévi was a great occultist in the eyes of many, and I'm sure he knew a secret or two in regards to alchemy.

A side note: whenever I first begin alchemy I thought the Prima Materia for the work was blood, but after much research and countless hours I realized it wasn't blood at all - something VERY different!

Last edited by on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Garden of the world near the new city, In the path of the hollow mountains:
It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.

BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:45 pm

Website of the book series: Saint Germain the Vampire

But I prefer to study the real Saint Germain!

Most Holy Trinosophia, The by Comte de Saint-Germain

Cool

deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunderic Mollusk on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:36 pm

Vampires are a pretty intricate topic.

One of the key things on vampires comes from the "scapegoat" function, when elements would go awry, or have no current rational explanation, and thus a folkloric irrational explanation would come about. For most of history, vampires were little more than revenants that would... well revenate, from some mistake made during burial or a "dark nature" in life. Exhumed, the funcitons of decomposition, such as blood rising to the surface of the flesh and bloat, would seem to the uneducated to be signs of engorging on some substance, and the blood on the lips would of course lead them to believe that "Hey, they must drink blood!"

It wasn't until the story "Lord Ruthven" was penned that vampirism became a communicable disease, and then in response to the other disease scares of the time.

In recent times, RPG nerds everywhere would recognize how vampirism would once again revise itself as a secret ruling society, much in the way that we fear the faceless heads of corporations and governments, and the connections between them.

The folkloric spirit of vampirism seems almost to be a void of soul, an anti-type to the ensouled sorceror that endures hardship and weakness to understand Nature and find the Lapis for the benefit of mankind. One big difference is that until Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson in the later Harry Potter movies grew into a broody adulthood, wizards, Alchemy, and magic hadn't any mainstream sex appeal, while the screaming antitypes had it since the Victorian era (of course, we have actual people delving into strange spirit stuff. Thus far, I'm not certain that we have non-respirating beings wandering among us.)

In a way, vampirism can also be something similar to Shiva Bhairava, a ghoulish fang-mawed aspect of the Mahadeva that represents the brahmin-killer role as Rudra in the Rg Veda. It's a necessary understanding and acceptance of hideous pathways of life that although personally destructive bring coherence to the whole.

Thus far, it seems a symbol rich with many many meanings. Woo!

Gunderic Mollusk
Terrae
Terrae

Number of posts: 91
Registration date: 2007-10-15

View user profile http://gnosismollusk.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 am

You raise some interesting points there.

I wonder if it would not be cool to write a thesis (or book) called something like The Alchemcial Vampire

I have been thinking that joint efforts like this could be interesting, and the end result a PDF on the main site (and of course in the resource sections).

Third Eye

deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:43 pm

I was reading a post on abrahadabra forums made by deviadah about Vlad Tepes & Serotonin/Melotonin and I found it to be interesting and in a sense it relates to this thread.

People with an excessive amount of melatonin are unfavourable towards sunlight (a clue to the formation of the Dracula of Stokers novel perhaps). Vlad Tepes, the real Dracula, attended the Austrian School of Solomon in Hermannstadt which gave him scientific understanding of the bodily effects of melatonin and serotonin, which enhance longevity and increase consciousness. Perhaps he even experimented with his pineal gland trying to open his Third Eye in a dark twist of creativity envisaging new forms of torture?

Vlad Tepes would also in time possess an in-depth knowledge of alchemy, kingship and the ancient Star fire customs and one day follow his father’s footsteps becoming initiated into the Order of the Dragon.

The more I think about the relation between vampires, alchemy, and immortality the more I realize there might be some truth in our ponderings.

It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.

BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  BeautifulEvil on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:58 pm

I wasn't very clear in my original posts and didn't reference any source materials in making my assertions, but I will try and clear that up now.

Source: A Work of Saturn by Johann Isaac Hollandus

Take of this Stone the quantity of a Wheat-corn, lay it in a little good Wine in a small Glass, half full, or a quarter full, make the Wine warm, the Stone will melt like Butter, and the Wine will be red as Blood, and very sweet in your mouth, as ever you tasted; for to speak comparatively, it is so sweet in taste that Honey and Sugar may be compared as Gall to it; give this unto the Patient to drink, lay him in Bed, but lay not too many clothes upon him, the Stone hastens forthwith to the heart, expelling thence all ill humours, thence dilating itself through all the Arteries and Veins of the whole Body, rousing up all humours, the party will sweat, for the Stone opens all the pores of the Body, and drives forth all humours thereby, so that the Patient will seem to have been in the Water, yet will this sweating not make him sicker, for the Stone expels only what is adverse to Nature, preserving what is consonant unto it in it's being, therefore the Patient is not sicker or weaker; but the more he sweats the stronger and lustier will he be, the Veins will be lighter, and the sweat continues till all evil humours be driven out of the Body, and then it ceases.

Take a Drachm of the Stone, seeth it in a pottle of Wine in a Glass, the space of two or three Pater-nosters, that the Stone may melt, the Wine will be as red as Blood, therewith wash the Sores morning and evening, laying a thin Plate of Lead over, in a short time, as in twelve days the Sores will be whole; and give him every day the quantity of a Wheat-corn, in warm Wine till he be well. If they be Fistulas or other concave Holes, that you cannot come at them to wash them, then take a Silver Syringe, and inject of that wine into them, it will heal them as aforesaid.

I'm also sure the change would still happen if the wine were to be replaced with water. Also, if people were to watch an individual drink this solution it would seem to them that they were actually drinking blood. We also have to consider that the myths of vampires arose during the dark ages when knowledge and reason had became lost to ignorance.

BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Yeah, it is all very interesting. All myths come from something that holds some form of truth - even Vampires. These days the Psy-Vampire has developed as subsitute for that more unreal Bram Stoker version.

Yet both hold secret keys I think... and it sure is a Saturnian creature!

The Lord Impaler by deviadah

Third Eye

deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunderic Mollusk on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:20 am

Here's the primary issue: Vampires weren't really romanticized until Stoker and company began penning their tales. Mostly, the early vampir, revenants, strigoi, and so on were all recently deceased in peasant villages, all with graves readily available to dig up and perform the proper rites to dispense of the vampire or placate the spirit. They were, in fact, red in color (from skin slippage) and full of blood (from bloat).

While Vlad was a terrifying figure, Bram's use of him was more akin to, say, using the archetype of Josef Stalin or Grigori Rasputin as a supernatural entity. (I'm hard pressed to say that the latter wasn't, but far be it for me to say what that wondrous madman might have become in his life).

Gunderic Mollusk
Terrae
Terrae

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunderic Mollusk on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:25 am

However, I can say that the combination of the Dracula figure with the folkloric vampire has created something of a modern godhead. One can easily find a place in their consciousness for the same dangerous, alien sexuality that Dracula, the Three Sisters, and others espouse. Dracula is a god, in a weird way, truth aside about a crazed prince who opposed the Turks for a massive period of time, or bloated peasant corpses who become the scapegoats for onsets of disease in a community.

Gunderic Mollusk
Terrae
Terrae

Back to top Go down

Connecting the dots!

Post  LadyHydralisk on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:50 am

"He seizes her ferociously, places her as I was placed, arms
suspended by two black straps; mine is the task of securing the bands;
he inspects the knots: finding them too loose, he tightens them, "So
that," he says, "the blood will spurt out under greater pressure"; he
feels the veins, and lances them, on each arm, at almost the same
moment. Blood leaps far: he is in an ecstasy; and adjusting himself
so that he has a clear view of these two fountains, he has me kneel
between his legs so I can suck
him; he does as much for first one and
then the other of his little friends, incessantly eyeing the jets of
blood which inflame him. For my part, certain the instant at which
the hoped for crisis occurs will bring a conclusion to the Countess'
torments, I bring all my efforts to bear upon precipitating this
denouement, and I become, as, Madame, you observe, I become a whore
from kindness, a libertine through virtue."

- Justine Marquis De Sade
ahem

More on topic, I have been pretty light sensitive since May, and my third eye has been absolutely pulsating non-stop...I seem to have the ability to turn it on and off at will, with the slightest thought, and I find that absolutely thrilling to have accomplished....and I did notice hallucinations for a period of 3 weeks beginning precisely at twilight and dusk, which correlates with the properties of melatonin, though it is some unverified research that counts the pineal gland as producing hallucinogenic substances.

I *have* been mulling over your pine cone thread Deviadah.

I put together some research over at Occult Forums which, unfortunately was glossed over by a heated mud slinging session courtesy of Scarlet, should fare better here, as we all know vampires are not just about blood, they've also been mutating into some sort of night creature that is more attuned to all kinds of spiritual forces in modern times, largely thanks to Anne Rice, as well as the Vampire theatre game. (speaking of which, the former vampire troupe I used to hang with at The Dungeon tackled me at Target yesterday and invited me to a vampire xmas party) Confused

"The pineal gland was originally believed to be a "vestigial remnant" of a larger organ (much as the appendix is thought to be a vestigial digestive organ).
Aaron Lerner and colleagues at Yale University discovered that melatonin, the most potent compound then known to lighten frog skin, was present in the highest concentrations in the pineal [7]. Melatonin is a derivative of the amino acid tryptophan, which also has other functions in the central nervous system. The production of melatonin by the pineal gland is stimulated by darkness and inhibited by light. [8] The retina detects the light, and directly signals and entrains the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN). Fibers project from the SCN to the paraventricular nuclei (PVN), which relay the circadian signals to the spinal cord and out via the sympathetic system to superior cervical ganglia (SCG), and from there into the pineal gland. The function(s) of melatonin in humans is not clear."

- Wikipedia

I recall that most of my really major trancework stemming from electrical charges in my pineal gland area did in fact take place at dusk....

"In his book DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Dr. Rick Strassman theorized that the pineal gland produces the psychedelic chemical DMT[9], but this has not been proven."

- Wikipedia

That's interesting, I wonder if there's anything to that.

"The pineal gland is large in children, but shrinks at puberty. It appears to play a major role in sexual development, hibernation in animals, metabolism, and seasonal breeding. The abundant melatonin levels in children is believed to inhibit sexual development, and pineal tumors have been linked with precocious puberty. When puberty arrives, melatonin production is reduced. Calcification of the pineal gland is typical in adults.

[...]

René Descartes, who dedicated much time to the study of the pineal gland,[15] called it the "seat of the soul" [16]. He believed that is was the point of connection between the intellect and the body [citation needed]. This was in part because of his belief that it is unique in the anatomy of the human brain in being a structure not duplicated on the right and left sides. This observation is not true, however; under a microscope one finds the pineal gland is divided into two fine hemispheres. Another theory was that the pineal operated as a valve releasing fluids, thus the position taken during deep thought, with the head slightly down meeting the hand, was an allowance for the opening of these 'valves'."
"When I carefully seek out, in deepest anguish, some strange absurdity, an eye opens at the top, in the middle of my skull. This eye opening up onto the sun in all its glory, to contemplate it in itsnakedness, privately, is not the work of my reason: it is a cry escaping from me. For at the moment when the flash blinds me I am the splintering brilliance of a shattered life, and this life - agony and vertigo - opening up onto an infinite void, bursts and exhausts itself all at once in this void.""

- Georges Baittaille
"Melatonin, 5-methoxy-N-acetyltryptamine, is a hormone found in all living creatures from algae[1] to humans, at levels that vary in a daily cycle. Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors,[2] while others are due to its role as a pervasive and extremely powerful antioxidant[3] with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.[4]"
"Mitochondria are sometimes described as "cellular power plants," because they generate most of the cell's supply of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), used as a source of chemical energy. In addition to supplying cellular energy, mitochondria are involved in a range of other processes, such as cell signaling, cellular differentiation, apoptosis, as well as the control of the cell cycle and cell growth.[2 The number of mitochondria in a cell varies widely by organism and tissue type. Many cells possess only a single mitochondrion, whereas others can contain several thousand mitochondria.[3][4]"

"Under certain conditions, protons can re-enter the mitochondrial matrix without contributing to ATP synthesis. This process is known as proton leak or mitochondrial uncoupling and is due to the facilitated diffusion of protons into the matrix. This process results in the unharnessed potential energy of the proton electrochemical gradient being released as heat. The process is mediated by a proton channel called thermogenin,"

- Wikipedia

LadyHydralisk
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts: 143
Registration date: 2007-10-09

View user profile http://kitsunehole.proboards51.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:56 pm

LadyHydralisk wrote:That's interesting, I wonder if there's anything to that.
Oh, it sure is.

Sadly little work is done in this area by the scientific community since DMT is illegal, which is fuckin' stupid!

It is also a reason why I don't think humans need drugs to expand their mind, although it can be helpful with all these distractions of modern life. But most of the time I advise people not to take drugs because the rewards are greater if a higher state of being can be achieved with willpower and imagination alone.

When speaking of drugs here I am of course talking about Peyote, LSD, Mushrooms i.e. drugs that are designed to open the third eye... alcohol and coke, for instance, just shuts it up like a govermental crackdown!

Although a joint can be nice after work...

LOL

Glad you like the Pine posts...

deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyHydralisk on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:31 pm

rofl

Well, Ningishzidda is a god of vegetation, you know....and Hermes is obviously on something.... Confused

Mescaline (in peyote form) is actually legal in the native american church, I was asking my mom about that earlier since she has connections in the region. She's always trying to get me to do some.

hahah

I won't, the witchdoctors are as far as I'll tolerate her meddling in my spiritual life...these poor parents and their advanced godlike children...it's a necessity really, you can't bring down a wall without a few detonation specialists.

:D

LadyHydralisk
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts: 143
Registration date: 2007-10-09

View user profile http://kitsunehole.proboards51.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Vampirism and Alchemy

Post  taceyoto on Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:00 am

Interesting TOpic, I took a college class on paranormal and the supernatural, a topic covered was vampirism, and the source of all vampirism apparently ( according to the text used which was Monsters by David Allen Greer) was in EGYPT...imagine that...

taceyoto
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts: 35
Registration date: 2007-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top