Alchemy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practical Alchemy - an introduction

2 posters

Go down

Practical Alchemy - an introduction Empty Practical Alchemy - an introduction

Post  deviadah Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Practical Alchemy is not really my field, but it does interest me although I have more questions in this area than answers. I will write a very short introduction and supply a couple of links, but I implore anyone that feels they can add to this introduction to do so.

In short practical alchemy is about transmuting lead into gold, by heating and refining the metal in various chemical processeses – and under certain astrological conditions.

It is an ancient art that was practiced both in Ancient Egypt and China. It arrived on the European shores in the 12th century. Some discoveries were made by the European alchemists such as mineral acids and alcohol, and of course it evolved into what is now known as chemistry.

Well that is as brief as I will be. Feel free to lengthen, revise and deepen this introduction to Practical Alchemy.

Some useful websites:
18th century Chemical Terms List
Alchymical survival - some notes on safety in alchemical experimentsby Tom McRae
Alchemical processes
Dictionary of alchemical substances and processeses
Book of Salts, The by Karen Bartlett (PDF)
Course on Practical Alchemy by John Reid
Diviner’s Sage
Essential Oil Distiller Operating Instructions
Gem Elixir Database
Herbal Guide to Healing
Monatomic Elements (Ormes)
Planetary Charts by Paracelsus
Practical Plant Alchemy - part 1 by Mark Stavish
Practical Plant Alchemy - part 2 by Mark Stavish
Practical Plant Alchemy - part 3 by Mark Stavish
Mechanical Press Operation Instructions (PDF)
Sacred Soma of the Alchemists by Dr. Michael Hartman
Using Essential Oils

Practical Alchemy - an introduction LAB04
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-10-08

http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Practical Alchemy - an introduction Empty Practical Alchemy - an introduction

Post  Jerry Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi deviadah,

I have somewhat a more limited definition of practical Alchemy.

I would state the objectives are as finding:

1. Aurum potabile. The "cure all" medicine which according to Fulcanelli as 'not having one atom of gold'.

2. The Carbuncule. The mystical glowing gem of the Ancients.

3. Stone of Transmutation. There may be more than one definition to this. It could be defined as the Stone which transmutes lead (Pb) or some other base metal into Gold (Au). Or perhaps this involves the transmutation of the Soul and the physical appearance of transmutation is secondary.

I also place limitations as what substance(s) to work on.

"Hence if you know our Art, extract our gold from our Mercury (this is the shorter way), and thus perform the whole operation with one substance (viz., Mercury); if you can do this, you will have attained to the perfection of philosophy. In this method, there is no superfluous trouble: the whole work, from beginning to end, is based upon one broad foundation -- whereas if you take common gold, you must operate on two substances, and both will have to be purified by an elaborate process." - Open Entrance, Philalethes.

I then place anything that doesn't fall into the above as particulars, examples, discoveries, or applications.

Jerry
Jerry
Jerry
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Practical Alchemy - an introduction Empty Re: Practical Alchemy - an introduction

Post  deviadah Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Jerry wrote:I have somewhat a more limited definition of practical Alchemy.
Well there is no point in beating around the bush... keep it simple and quick. After all we live in an MTV generational world!

I missed that you joined and I hope you can add more to what you've already written. Especially on the Carbuncule.

Third Eye

Topic can be found here: The Carbuncule
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-10-08

http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Practical Alchemy - an introduction Empty Re: Practical Alchemy - an introduction

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down