Sexual Alchemy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sexual Alchemy

Post  WCH on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 am

How exactly does sexual alchemy work? I mean, I understand the sexual metaphors in alchemical recipes and whatnot... but on a practical level, how does it actually relate to sex? Like what do you do differently when you're doing sexual alchemy versus when you're just fuckin'?

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in, could be seen as Practical, went with Spititual because it's not about transmuting chemicals. Unless you count hormones.
avatar
WCH
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 69
Age : 31
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  elvex on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:15 am

Think of exercises such as the Circulation of the Light applied to couples in copulation instead of individuals in meditation. Many Tantric and Taoist sacred sex techniques have correspondences with Western alchemy--in the case of the former, through correspondences between Hinduism and yoga and Western alchemy, and in the latter, through Taoist alchemy. Lots of material to Google on Tantra and Taoist sexual alchemy.

Here is another set of correspondences, these in the Western ceremonial magic tradition (in this case, Thelemic): "Basic Techniques for Performing Sexual Alchemy" by Gerald del Campo (.pdf). Cf. Donald Tyson's Sexual Alchemy: Magical Intercourse with Spirits.

Paschal Beverly Randolph's Magia Sexualis is based on a complementary (positive-negative) energy model that is not alchemical per se, but again has some more-or-less obvious alchemical correspondences.

elvex
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile http://oneirodyne.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  phliosehea on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 pm

I believe it is a bit of a quandry...there's another article here that sort of petered out regarding Sexual Alchemy... I believe sexual alchemy is more of a modern interpretation that has somehow used alchemy more as a catchphrase for the Tantric arts...but that's just my opinion.
avatar
phliosehea
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  elvex on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:11 am

phliosehea wrote:I believe sexual alchemy is more of a modern interpretation that has somehow used alchemy more as a catchphrase for the Tantric arts...but that's just my opinion.
In the case of Western alchemy, I suppose that is true. I do not know of any (Pseudo)Hermetic text before the 20th century that used sexual terminology in an obviously literal way, and actual sex in Western ceremonial magic seems to be a pretty recent development. However, literal and metaphorical sex may have been less clearly segregated in Taoism. Compare these Wikipedia articles on Chinese alchemy and Taoist sexual practices.

elvex
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile http://oneirodyne.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  BeautifulEvil on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:36 pm

"... and actual sex in Western ceremonial magic seems to be a pretty recent development."
The hieros gamos (just one example)? I think sex magick in ceremonies & rituals is probably one of the oldest secrets, and it comes directly from ancient history. This is including Western style workings also.

_________________

Garden of the world near the new city, In the path of the hollow mountains:
It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.
avatar
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Age : 30
Registration date : 2007-10-10

View user profile http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  elvex on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:41 pm

BeautifulEvil wrote:The hieros gamos?
Is a good point, but was it practiced by Medieval and Renaissance ceremonial magicans--and more importantly, alchemists? I am under the impression that Hermetic practices of that time often prescribed pious abstinence from sex, and references to the "sacred marriage" were metaphorical, although I am sure they carried meaning into the magicians' physical and romantic relationships.

elvex
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile http://oneirodyne.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  BeautifulEvil on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Is a good point, but was it practiced by Medieval and Renaissance ceremonial magicans--and more importantly, alchemists? I am under the impression that Hermetic practices of that time often prescribed pious abstinence from sex, and references to the "sacred marriage" were metaphorical, although I am sure they carried meaning into the magicians' physical and romantic relationships.
I'm not sure though, honestly I think alchemists and ceremonial magicians were well versed in the sexual arts. I don't think abstinence was as important as we now seem to think. Many were involved in Goddess worship - the divine feminine.

It's just a hunch of mine, and I don't have anything to back it up.

_________________

Garden of the world near the new city, In the path of the hollow mountains:
It will be seized and plunged into the Tub, Forced to drink waters poisoned by sulfur.
avatar
BeautifulEvil
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 754
Age : 30
Registration date : 2007-10-10

View user profile http://www.englishgematria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  elvex on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:38 pm

BeautifulEvil wrote:I'm not sure though, honestly I think alchemists and ceremonial magicians were well versed in the sexual arts. I don't think abstinence was as important as we now seem to think. Many were involved in Goddess worship - the divine feminine.

It's just a hunch of mine, and I don't have anything to back it up.
Well, I cannot think of a better complement to immortality than being a good lover. :-)
And many of them certainly did respect and elevate the Feminine.

elvex
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile http://oneirodyne.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  solomon levi on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:19 pm

I can't imagine being an alchemist and having alchemy not apply to everything.
Sex is part of nature, so alchemists would have had/do have unique knowledge
based on their observations of nature.

The secret fire is internally associated with the kundalini which can be engaged in
sexual practices. The circulation of this energy in the body is no different than the
circulation in a flask. Through circulation, this energy can be exalted.
Frater Albertus called alchemy the raising of frequencies.

Even practical alchemy involves the alchemists internal chi.
To me, the most important ingredient in alchemy is the alchemist.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  elvex on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:58 pm

solomon levi wrote:I can't imagine being an alchemist and having alchemy not apply to everything.
Sex is part of nature, so alchemists would have had/do have unique knowledge
based on their observations of nature.

The secret fire is internally associated with the kundalini which can be engaged in
sexual practices. The circulation of this energy in the body is no different than the
circulation in a flask. Through circulation, this energy can be exalted.
Frater Albertus called alchemy the raising of frequencies.

Even practical alchemy involves the alchemists internal chi.
To me, the most important ingredient in alchemy is the alchemist.
All good points, especially the last one (and wonderfully similar to an essay I was writing earlier today).

elvex
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-21

View user profile http://oneirodyne.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  solomon levi on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:25 am

WCH wrote:How exactly does sexual alchemy work? I mean, I understand the sexual metaphors in alchemical recipes and whatnot... but on a practical level, how does it actually relate to sex? Like what do you do differently when you're doing sexual alchemy versus when you're just fuckin'?

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in, could be seen as Practical, went with Spititual because it's not about transmuting chemicals. Unless you count hormones.


I realised I didn't respond directly to your question.

Part of what is different about taoist sexual alchemy is retention of the semen.
Obviously if we "spill" the contents of the "flask" you'll have to start over.

And then the atmosphere would be different also: intentional, present, equality...

The woman is water and the man is fire. The man doesn't want the fire to burn too quickly because the
water takes a while to heat up and bring to a boil. He shouldn't blow his load before the lady has a chance
to orgasm. So you could look at all the prep work of alchemy as the foreplay of love. Third Eye

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It has been revealed

Post  overfien on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:22 pm

When talking of sexual alchemy it is our semen that is the crude matter of the great work. We need to remain hermetically sealed to avoid spilling of the crude matter. Aristotle states, “The Mercury must be baked in a triple receptacle of very hard glass.” This receptacle is the phallus, which is surrounded by the walls of the vagina and is submitted to heat equal on every side.

A great beginners DVD on the work is Sex, The Secret Gate to Eden - Alchemy, Tantra, and Kabbalah

overfien
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-11-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sexual Alchemy

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum