Alchemy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Distillation of Acetate Salts

+8
Salazius
Field
MythMath
k89
Vlad
Green Lion
ryanl
BeautifulEvil
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Dry Distillation of Acetate Salts - Page 4 Empty Re: Dry Distillation of Acetate Salts

Post  Illen A. Cluf Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:58 am

raedotted wrote:Hi Illen,

I use specifically a Cast Iron Top Hot Plate, Remote control RC1900 model I bought for about $280 from Lab Depot Inc. They have a website by the same name where you can find this hotplate. It reaches 480°C maximum, and because it's cast iron you can use it with glass or metal vessels. You are probably thinking, "But you said 500°C?" and yes this is true, I did say that. Keep in mind however, the sandbath will absorb more heat.

Rae

Hi Rae,

Merry Christmas!

That indeed seems to be a sophisticated hotplate. However, if the maximum temperature of the hotplate is 480°C I stil don't see how, even with a sandbath (which only absorbs the given heat), the temperature could exceed this amount. Do you know how much the temperature of this hotplate fluctuates when maintaining the temperature?

Thanks,
Illen
Illen A. Cluf
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Dry Distillation of Acetate Salts - Page 4 Empty Re: Dry Distillation of Acetate Salts

Post  theFool Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:03 am

There are cheap hot plates (used usually for coffee making) which have two or three "scales" and they keep the temp steady, there is no on-off because they don't have thermostat. If you connect a 1000W lighting dimmer you can control the temp precisely and fairly cheaply.

theFool
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-11-14

http://www.geocities.com/the.experimenter/frames.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  raedotted Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:12 am

Illen A. Cluf wrote:
Hi Rae,

Merry Christmas!

That indeed seems to be a sophisticated hotplate. However, if the maximum temperature of the hotplate is 480°C I stil don't see how, even with a sandbath (which only absorbs the given heat), the temperature could exceed this amount. Do you know how much the temperature of this hotplate fluctuates when maintaining the temperature?

Thanks,
Illen

Hi Illen,

Well you are correct actually. The temperature doesn't exceed 485°C in the sandbath. The temp fluctuates +5/-5°C. However, the acetate doesn't have to absolutely reach 500°C to distill over in most cases. Sometimes it will require heats up to 700°C, however I haven't encountered that problem yet.

Rae

raedotted
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Illen A. Cluf Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:41 am

theFool wrote:There are cheap hot plates (used usually for coffee making) which have two or three "scales" and they keep the temp steady, there is no on-off because they don't have thermostat. If you connect a 1000W lighting dimmer you can control the temp precisely and fairly cheaply.

Thank you "theFool". I have a couple of inexpensive hotplates, and I can try that solution.

Illen
Illen A. Cluf
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Back to top Go down

Post  Illen A. Cluf Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 am

raedotted wrote: Well you are correct actually. The temperature doesn't exceed 485°C in the sandbath. The temp fluctuates +5/-5°C. However, the acetate doesn't have to absolutely reach 500°C to distill over in most cases. Sometimes it will require heats up to 700°C, however I haven't encountered that problem yet.

The extra few degrees would help, unless the temperature can remain fairly constant. I did a lead acetate distillation with a friend, and just as the distillate was starting to come over (about 480 C) the hotplate would shut off and the temperature would drop to about 425 C before kicking in again. It took a long time to receive any signficiant amount of the distillate. If we could have kept the temperature steady at about 490 C, I think it would have been much more productive. We did wrap the flask with insulating wool so that the temperature wouldn't drop too much between the hotplate shut-offs, and that did help somewhat.

Illen
Illen A. Cluf
Illen A. Cluf
Interiora
Interiora

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Illen A. Cluf wrote:I did a lead acetate distillation with a friend, and just as the distillate was starting to come over.......

Could you please tell me what treatise you are working from so I can better understand this discussion?
Jerry
Jerry
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4