Alchemy Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent)

5 posters

Go down

Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent) Empty Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent)

Post  JamesBryan Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:59 pm

I think everyone who knows about Nicholas Flamel knows about his grave and symbols.

Anyone know about the cross with the snakes?
Any links to somewhere I can research or I could read about would be great.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by deviadah on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Improved the title so it will work when searching for this topic! /d)
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent) Empty Re: Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent)

Post  deviadah Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:31 am

I moved this topic to Symbolism and Imagery.
JamesBryan wrote:Anyone know about the cross with the snakes?
Have a look at these two threads:

The Caduceus of Hermes

The Staff of Asclepius

Third Eye
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-10-08

http://deviadah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent) Empty Re: Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent)

Post  JamesBryan Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:33 am

Ok, but then how do we get the cross from these staffs?
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:34 am

The Bible is filled with alchemical language, in my opinion...

Christianity is not an original religion!

Hermes is just an older Jesus... not sure why it is a cross and a snake, but it seems to have these staffs as a source. Flamel was after all an alchemist!

Third Eye
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesBryan Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:39 am

But if the bible is just alchemical text like you said, then why do we have the religion vs. science controversy?

Yeah, Hermes was pretty B.A.
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:53 am

JamesBryan wrote:But if the bible is just alchemical text like you said, then why do we have the religion vs. science controversy?
Because humans are stupid!

Tongue
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  phliosehea Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:55 am

It isn't exactly smooth sailing removing thousands of years of indoctrination from whole cultures. Even within religion there is controversy, whence the denominations of belief...sadly science/reason falls far to the wayside when battling these hydras. Given that the bible is alchemical isn't an easy notion for the "true believer" to follow, and science isn't exactly the most adept at conquering allegories, parables, and metaphors in general.
phliosehea
phliosehea
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesBryan Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:18 am

So, back on topic,

If the staff with snakes intervining is alchemy.

Then why do we have a religious symbol and a alchemical symbol together?
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 am

JamesBryan wrote:Then why do we have a religious symbol and a alchemical symbol together?
Because religion, and in this case Christianity, stems from alchemy and other ancient esoterica. As easy as that... in my opinion!

But as always one can see any image as a representation of many different things... what do you yourself think?

Third Eye
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesBryan Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:09 am

Hmm, the way I see it?

Hah, I have no idea, I will just go out on a limb.

Let me warn you, this is just a guess.
The cross means the spirituality of the soul, and the snake means the danger's of the physical body. So with that in mind, if it was with a other sign then maybe a recipe.

Again, out of a limb, the philosopher's stone recipe. and I know its crazy to believe but maybe that's why Nicholas Flamel put this, because he deciphered the book. He was the only one, besides his wife, that knew what it meant??

So this could be a crazy theory or blasphemy.
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 am

Well I have never seen the serpent in a negative way. Here is an essay you might enjoy:

The Serpent - part 1
The Serpent - part 2

Also Flamel is just one of many alchemists that possessed all the secrets!

This is the image this thread is referring to (one version of it anyway):

Question about Alchemical Sign (Crucified Serpent) Flamel-5

Here's one take on the meaning:
...the Hebrew words NChSh, 'serpent', and MShICh, 'Messiah' have the same numerical value, 358. Based on this, the crucified serpent become a rather profound symbolic shortcut for what the Messiah is supposed to represent and do, viz., redeem the Children of Adam. - source
And another take:
[…] a common alchemical drawing representing the “fixing of the volatile,” or, making the elixir of mercury, a legendary curative, by removing the volatile, or poisonous element. The crucified serpent is a symbol of overcoming one’s base or materially inclined nature. - source
Third Eye
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesBryan Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh May I ask what that stamp is!?
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  deviadah Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:19 am

JamesBryan wrote:Oh May I ask what that stamp is!?
I don't know... Confused

Third Eye
deviadah
deviadah
Occultum
Occultum

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesBryan Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Well now I am double-researching. Still on Alchemy, Nicholas Flamel, and the Philospher's stone, but also with alchemical signs and the cross symbols and snakes.
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  solomon levi Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:53 pm

This is also the symbol of the crucified serpent: $
Smile

It's a symbol of fixing the volatile. The serpent is always fixed with a weapon of mars:
spear, arrow, iron nails...

In the Flamel work, IMO, this is utilising iron with stibnite to make the martial regulus.

solomon levi
Rectificando
Rectificando

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post  horticult Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:38 am

That stamp is from a library, where this figure is archived.
This figure is pretty important, and I would like to know the all meaning. We can study the marks on the bottom of that cross, that peg, and compare Moses´s snake. Must be the same. Vague neaning for me is a life /snake, mercury/ in matter /cross/.
horticult
horticult
Interiora
Interiora

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesBryan Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey, I'm back again with another question, from what my Research shows, Nicholas Flamel created this image.

Is this correct information?

It's just a simple question too, I need to base my research off of it.

I have 4 books that are quite simple, one about the historic symbols, another about history of science, another one about signs, and the holy bible.

I am trying to get Flamel's writings in books and the Emerald Tablet. If anyone can give me some more books that I should get, go ahead and tell.

Last edited by JamesBryan on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Minor Mistake)
JamesBryan
JamesBryan
Visita
Visita

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down